Join us to learn how to cook your meats from nose to tail!
In recognition of Earth Day this year, Eataly launched a 3-part series in partnership with Second Harvest that features tips and tricks to avoid food waste. For each class purchased, Eataly will donate $50 to Second Harvest’s efforts. The second class in May will focus on meat from a local farm, guiding you through the importance of using several parts of a cut – including bones and fats – in your cooking.
Ahead of the Victoria Day weekend, our head butcher will share with you his tips for making the most of the grilling season and meals enjoyed al fresco as he highlights how the often-discarded pieces of meat are easily usable too. You will learn the process for 3 pork-based recipes: curing lardo, mixing ground pork that can be used for sausages or burgers, and frying a pork chop. You’ll also watch as he breaks down a pig – truly a nose to tail experience!
Since its opening, Eataly has worked with Second Harvest, Canada’s largest food rescue charity, as a donor of surplus food and partner in various events. A 2019 report by Second Harvest found that about 35.5 billion kilograms of food is wasted in Canada annually. Of that loss, 32 per cent — worth $49.5 billion — is edible and could be avoided.
That’s not good, to say the least, but there is one very simple thing you can start doing today with your meat to lessen the amount of food waste you create: eat more of it!
At Eataly's butcher counter, we source our meat from clean, sustainable farms and ranches where the animals graze daily in open pastures and are humanely handled. We believe that the health of both the animals and the land on which they are raised have a direct impact on the quality and flavor of the meat once it reaches your table. During the class our head butcher will demonstrate how to butcher an entire pork rack, walking everyone through the process to show you how we create the cuts you’ll receive in your kit.
Throughout the series, our experts will guide you through new recipes and share with you new ways to use every single bit of your grocery shopping.
The third and last class in the series will take place in June. To celebrate World Ocean Day, we’ll walk you through a sea-inspired dinner with a class on whole fish.
Included in the kit: Bone-in pork chop, piece of pork back fat for lardo with curing mix, ground pork for sausage with seasoning mix, rendered pork fat, asparagus, potatoes, pancetta
Our Virtual Class includes a kit of ingredients which will be used during the class. Please note that geographical restrictions apply to participate and receive the kit. Once registered, a Scuola team member will contact you to confirm any add-ons (delivery and /or wine) and manage delivery or pick up details.
Kit Contents (serves 2 people; for 3+ people, we recommend ordering two or more kits.)
- Delivery – $15 – TORONTO ONLY
- Kits will be available for pickup from our Guest Relations desk (located at the top of the escalator) the day prior to the class
- One of our team members will reach out to you closer to the event date to assist you with the add-on delivery purchase.
- On the day of the class, you will receive your private Zoom link via email in order to join
- Sign-ups for every class close two days prior to the event.
- Cancellation must be made at least five days prior to the event.
- Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary restrictions. If we are not notified ahead of time of any special needs, we may not be able to accommodate them.
- All guests planning to consume alcohol must be able to produce valid government-issued identification to prove they are 19 or older.
- Class duration is approximate and may vary by 10-15 minutes.
If you have questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org