Known for its diverse palate and regional cuisine, Italy’s culinary identity can often be defined by its pasta. Southern pasta shapes each have their own unique history. Hearty durum wheats tend to grow here, resulting in protein-rich pasta dough, eliminating the need for eggs, creating pasta shapes that have their own texture. At Eataly, our chefs remind us that the pasta should "marry" the sauce: each shape has the perfect Southern saucy mate made in pasta heaven.
Our Chef will show and explain in detail exactly how that’s done, as you try two dishes freshly prepared before you in our Scuola kitchen. In our most immersive style of pasta class, guests will also try their hand at rolling out the dough and forming their own shapes (think: cavatelli, orecchiette, and pici).
In this class, guests will:
- Learn firsthand from our La Scuola Chef about the fresh pasta shapes and sauce pairings typical of Southern Italy
- Enjoy two pasta dishes prepared by our Chef
- Try two complementary wines and discover the regional grapes of Southern Italy from Eataly Toronto’s beverage manager
- Receive a hands-on lesson as you make your own pasta dough and form pasta shapes to take home and cook
- Cavatelli con salsiccia e rapini, mollica fritta alle acciughe e pecorino romano (Housemade cavatelli pasta with sausage and broccoli rabe, anchovy-fried bread crumbs and Pecorino Romano DOP cheese)
- Calamarata Morelli al nero di seppia con baccala' alla napoletana (squid ink Morelli calamarata pasta in salt-cured cod, olive, capers and tomato sauce)
You’ll also take home the adapted recipe and wine tasting notes.
- Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary restrictions. If we are not notified ahead of time of any special needs, we may not be able to accommodate them.
- All guests planning to consume alcohol must be able to produce valid government-issued identification to prove they are 19 or older.