At Eataly, we love prosciutto crudo. Each impossibly thin slice of cured pork packs an abundance of salty and satisfying flavour that varies depending on how (and where) it's made. Called the "King of Hams," the resulting Prosciutto di Parma yields delicate, sweet flavours in every bite. Excellent on its own, Prosciutto di Parma also pairs well with rustic bread, juicy melon in the summer, and creamy mozzarella.
The history and region of Prosciutto di Parma production are what set it apart from other prosciutti. Since Roman times, this geographically protected food has been world renowned.
Producers are only located around Parma, within the Emilia Romagna region of Italy, where the mountain air is sweet, dry and aromatic. In Parma, making prosciutto is part of an age-old tradition passed on from generation to generation and many of the methods used thousands of years ago have remained the same.
Despite thousands of years of curing, Prosciutto di Parma has always been 100% natural, containing no additives, preservatives, or hormones. Prosciutto di Parma can only be produced from the hind legs of specially selected heritage breed pigs raised in 11 regions of Italy according to the highest standards, on which they are monitored, inspected, and traced, and then approved by the Consorzio.
Join us in La Scuola for this in-person experience to explore all you ever wanted to know about Prosciutto di Parma and the tradition of Northern Italian fresh pasta. Learn how to prepare your new go-to comfort dish while tasting and learning about one of the best prosciutti in the world.
The class will start with a special dinner where guests will have the opportunity of tasting two Prosciutto di Parmas of different ages. Guests will taste them on its own and with a pairing, followed by a traditional pasta from the north prepared by our Scuola chef and paired with a tasting of wine selected by our beverage expert.
Our Scuola chef will also demonstrate how to make and shape some of Eataly's favorite fresh pastas. Guests will then get to try their hand at rolling out the dough and forming their own shapes (think: agnolotti del plin, tortellini, ravioli). Making fresh pasta may seem daunting, but it is a simple luxury that you can enjoy every day.
In this unique class, students will:
· Learn all about Prosciutto di Parma
· Learn about fresh egg pasta and how to make it at home
· Make a variety of fresh pasta shapes to take home
· Enjoy a pasta dish prepared by our chef and paired with a wine chosen by an Eataly beverage expert
· Sip on wine and learn how to pair the right pasta shapes and sauces
· Take home the menu, adapted recipes, wine tasting notes, and the fresh pasta you have made
· Take home a delicious dessert from our Pasticceria
· An appetizer featuring 2 different aged Prosciutto di Parma’s
· Ravioli di Prosciutto in an Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Parmigiano Reggiano D.O.P sauce
· Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary restrictions. If we are not notified ahead of time of any special needs, we may not be able to accommodate them.
· Class duration is approximate and may vary 10-15 mins.
· All guests planning to consume alcohol must be able to produce valid government-issued identification to prove they are 19 or older.
· Beginning September 22, 2021, Ontario will require proof of vaccination focused on indoor public settings. To attend this event, you must provide your proof of vaccination as well as proof of identity (such a driver’s license or health card). Your guests will also be required to show their full vaccination status and identification to attend the event. Failure to provide proof of vaccination will not be permitted at the event, and refunds will not be given. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com or call us at 437.374.0250 ext. 835